Wednesday, February 13, 2008

Last night in my welding class I decided to tackle MIG welding. I have not mastered stick welding nor am I anywhere close, but I did get the basic hang of it. My primary goal for learning to weld was for autobody work. Mig provides better control and is less likely to blow a hole in the thin sheet metal. For this reason I decided to abandon stick welding and move on to mig.

My first bead with the MIG turned out very nice. I attribute it to my 'ah-ha' moment from last week with the stick welding.

The first peer to drop by and check my progress was impressed. I proceeded to tell him everything I knew (very little) about MIG welding. I started with how to adjust the equipment: wirespeed, voltage, gas pressure. Next I explained the basic process showing how to position the wire, trim to length, etc. Finally I demo'ed my technique and then encouraged them to try it as well. Before the night was over, I had give my little speil several times and every one who tried it out was very successful. You may recall, this is not my first time to teach others to mig weld. Last time it was a bunch of 5th graders. It is true what they say, "Those who can do, those who can't teach." Hopefully I will soon be one of the ones who can and still be one of the ones who teach.

I left feeling very good, not only about my progress, but about helping other folks learn to weld. The teacher was busy most of the night helping another student with a project so he never got around to teaching me how to MIG weld. That is ok because I did some reading ahead of time just in case. The reading paid off.

If only I hadn't burnt my thumb through a hole in my glove where the seam came loose. Man that hurt. I had a blister on it this morning.

Diet Progress: 19 lbs down .
[4.8 lbs to go]

No comments: