Tuesday, November 02, 2010

SU HS2 Carburetor Rebuild

The SU HS2 carburetor off the Morris Minor has been on hold for a couple of weeks. I had two problems that needed to be solved (without causing any permanent damage).

1) The brass jet was stuck in the jet pilot. This was keeping the jet from moving when the choke handle was pulled. I believe the strongest adhesive in the world is probably varnish made from dried gasoline. After soaking the pieces in carb cleaner for two weeks, they were still stuck. The solution to this problem turned out to be taking a propane torch to the brass for about 10 seconds and then dropping it in a bucket of water. Presto! The parts had separated.

2) The threads for the jet locking nut on the carburetor body had been cross-threaded at some point in the past. This made it impossible to put the nut back on correctly.

It was suggested to me that I could remove the first row of threads using a roto-tool. It would probably work but I was not certain I would improve the situation.

I checked the net for a tap and die set so I could clean up the threads. The problem here is that the nut has 3/8 Whitworth threads. (Three-eights of what? Not metric, not SAE. Whitworth!) I found a set online, but wasn't sure I wanted to throw $40 at the problem. I would if that turned out to be the only viable option, but I continued to search for other options.

I ended up borrowing a 3/8 Whitworth wrench from Lott. Using the wrench I was able to non-forcefully coerce the nut back across the threads. After a few twists back and forth, the threads were clean enough to hand tighten the nut.

The two problems are now behind me. Maybe I will finally get the carburetor put back together in the near future.



No comments: