Saturday, July 31, 2004

Yesterday was a holiday for me. I didn't have to go to work and I had no plans. At first I thought I would work on the bed finish. But I could hear the call of the road, and shame of all shames, I think the Miata had set in the garage undriven for 7 days.

One of the tires looked low, so I check them all out and then hit the road. At first I really had no plans other than to just cruise around a bit. I headed west, California here I come. After driving a little bit I decided I would go visit my Grandfather. He live about 90 minutes away.

When I got there I parked in his driveway and knocked on the door. After a few minutes there was no answer. I had my cell phone, so I rang his phone. I let it ring 10 times. Again no answer. His car was in the driveway so I figured he was just out for a walk. He walks a good bit. He is 78 years old.

My father lives across the street so I walked over there. Again I pulled out the cell phone but this time I called before I rang the doorbell. As soon as he answered the phone I started ringing the doorbell. Dingdong, Dingdong, Dingdong. He said "Hold on a second, someone is at the door." And there I was.

He called back across the street and eventually he got an answer. We we back over there and talked with him, Scott, for a while. Scott _really_ liked the Miata. He asked me how much I would let him have it for. He spent quite a bit of time telling me about his first convertible. He bought it after returning home from WWII. He also told me I was living life backwards. In his opinion I should have gotten the convertible when I was younger and single. Apparrently girls love convertibles.

I would not be surprised at all if the next time I saw him he had a Miata. After all, he is only 78 and girls love convertibles.

No comments: