Sunday, September 19, 2004

This morning I took the Miata out for a short spin. I needed to return some jumper cables to a friend. He loaned them to me a while back when I was trying to get the '72 GMC to crank back before I bought it. Mine were not heavy duty enough to make it work. (This use of jumper cables probably caused iMike's battery to die). For the record, nothing is wrong with the battery. It was simply low from under utilization.

It was chilly again this morning. I turned the heater on to keep my feet warm. (I didn't have on any socks.) I guess I will be needing a jacket for my future early morning treks.

This afternoon I clean up the shop and rearranged the tools and benches a few times. The goal was to make both trucks fit easily while still providing reasonable access to the tools. I finally got it to work, but I am not sure I like it. I ended up pushing two of the benches up against the wall. Sure that's good enough for most people but I like to be able to work on the bench from which ever side suits me at the time.

As for the '72 GMC, I spent a little while crawling around under it this afternoon. Most of the spiders have moved on but there are still a few living under there. I applied a little bit of bug spray so maybe they will move on or drop off.

What did I learn while under the truck? More than I can describe here. I also took the instrument cluster out of the dash, removed the steering wheel and took out some a/c duct work that had dry rotted. The cluster was put back in place. BTW, the odometer works and so I am guessing the truck has 130k miles on it. Could be 230k but I doubt it. The gas gauge and oil pressure gauge also appear to be functional.

And finally, I managed to get the steering wheel tightened down. Previously it had about an 1/2" of play along the axis of the steering column. That was pretty freaky.


1 comment:

Mike said...

Of course the battery is fine. I just spent $80 to get a new one for the metaphysically connected Windstar. Good news for you, it has an 8 year warranty - 3 years free replacement.