Wednesday, April 20, 2005

Idle Speed


I took the afternoon off to work on the sprinkler system. I managed to get most of my hole dug when I (surprise) it the water line with the shovel. By the time I got the water turned off, my hole was more of a pond. While waiting for the flood to receed, I decided to work on the truck.

I installed the battery tray, heater hoses, and radiator hoses. After filling up the radiator, I cranked it and let it idle in the driveway for an hour. During this time I topped of the transmission fluid, adjusted the timing, topped off the radiator, and eventually cruised up and down the driveway.

After running a few minutes I noticed some smoke. This didn't happen the last two times I cranked it. After a little investigation I found the smoke was coming off the exhaust pipes. After a few minutes it stopped. Theory is that I got some oil or tranny fluid on them at some point and the heat was just burning it off. The smoke is now gone. I guess it didn't get hot enough to smoke the first couple of times.

I also noticed a little water leak on the top radiator hose where it connects to the intake manifold. I tightned the clamp a little. Nope it appears to be coming from between the thermostat housing and the gastket. I will check on that one latter. The leak is just a trickle and it only leaks when the thermostat is open.

Tomorrow is dirt day. I believe that fell in May last year.

And for the record, the truck is actually running in the picture above. After it warmed up, it cranked very easily. Just hit the starter for about a 1.5 seconds and vaaarooom.

No comments: