Saturday, May 12, 2007

Morning Break

I was hoping to be caught up by now so I could take the weekend off. No such luck.

I am currently camping out at the kitchen table with a laptop and a coffee cup that says "Dad" and has a picture of a 1966 Ford Mustang Convertible on it. I believe that is as close as I will be getting to either of the car shows today.

I have been remiss about posting for the last little something something. Several topics have crossed my mind though I have lost most of them. C'est la vie! One did pop into my mind a few minutes ago though so here we are.

One day this week, I believe it was Wednesday, I was heading back to work after having lunch at Vinnie's Indian Cuisine. I was cruzin' up Jordan Lane behind a over sized 4x4 pickup. I was probably too close to the truck ahead of me and there was a Caddy in the right lane next to me. Quicker than you can shake a stick (What does that mean anyway?)... Before I can brake, I have run over a large rock that the pickup ahead of me went over. Fortunately for him, he had plenty of ground clearance. The Miata however does not have much clearance. This rock was fairly large. I would describe it as roughly the size of a shoe box. I saw it but did not have time to react. The rock went right under the car. I felt the car rise on its suspension. It was quite a bump and I heard the sound of rock rubbing on metal as it went from the front all the way to the back.

This provided a very queasy feeling to the driver of the car, yours truly. I watched in the rear view mirror as the rock rolled down the street and the Accord behind me swerved into the lane of oncoming traffic to avoid it. Fortunately for him there was no actual oncoming traffic.

At this point I started nervously looking for smoke or any signs of fluid loss on the gauges or in the road behind me. My instinct was to go back and get the rock out of the road but there was not a good place to turn around. Also I felt I needed to get the little red car home before it quit, just in case. Hopefully one of the guys working road construction retrieved the rock before it caused any damage to anyone else's car.

Once the car was parked, I looked underneath for any drips. Nothing to be seen. The car has moved since then. I don't really feel good about driving it until I inspect it underneath. I want to make sure I don't have a cracked oil pan or a damaged fuel line, etc.

I have high hopes that there is no real damage other than a few minor scrapes on the underside. High hopes aside, I am not going to drive it again until I have verified this to be true. Three days later and there are still no leaks so I would take that as a good sign.

The Spanish Grand Prix is this weekend. Speed Channel, 6:30 AM on Sunday. My Tivo is ready to go.

Gotta get back to the code now.

3 comments:

Carol said...

I ended up crashing through a pothole big enough to hide a white tail deer in a couple of weeks ago. My first thought was "In one second my front left tire is going to explode". My next thought was "I wonder how much a new rim is going to cost?. My third was to pick up my phone and call 311 (the local Call Your City Government Line) to report the pothole and get a case number so I could send them a bill.

By the time I was able to pull out of traffic I was wondering how long it would take to get a tow truck. I climbed out, cringing. The rim looked fine. The tire looked fine. I pulled out my tire gauge and - the tire was perfect.

Again, I love my Miata. And I promise to be nicer to it. The streets in Houston SUCK. But hey! We have a new football and basketball stadium. WOO. Freaking. HOO. I mean c'mon who needs streets, anyway?

Rick said...

I peeked under the car again this morning. Still no drips.

Perhaps this afternoon I will jack it up and take a gander. Note to self, look at the exhaust. It seemed a little bit louder after the impact with the asteroid.

Angel said...

Oh MY!! I can imagine the sickened feeling. I hope there isn't any underlying problems, that would stink.

Do keep us posted.