Monday, October 17, 2005

Matching Numbers
The frame of my GMC truck is suppose to have the serial number stamped on it twice. The number also shows up as part of the VIN on the VIN plate.

Yesterday while cleaning the frame I decided to check the number on the frame versus the number on the cab. I would not have been surprised to find out they did not match.

I did end up with a surprise. The frame number did and did not match the VIN in the cab. How is that? Well the two numbers stamped on the frame did not match. The last three digits on the cab are xxxxx816. On the frame I found xxxxx816 and also xxxxx815. The number on the front of the frame did not match the number on the middle of the frame. I guess the first stamp occurred before they remembered to increment the serial number. I wonder if this is common.

1 comment:

Mike said...

That it cool! A reminder if the day when EVERYTHING was not computer controlled and done by the 'bots!