Saturday, October 15, 2005

Topless, Well Soft Of

This morning I removed the rear panel from the Miata top. Total time involved about 40 minutes. I will be taking it to an upholstry shop hopefully to get a new plastic window sewn in. We will see. Pun intended.

I used the instruction from Miata.net found in the Garage section. An odd thing about them. They didn't really match my car at all. I am guessing that I do not have the original top.

While dismatling the rear deck of the car, I found a hole. Perhaps someone removed a BB. No it was bigger than that. It was cut in a piece of the sheet metal probably using tin snips. My suspicion is that at some point a CD changer was installed and later removed. This hole was used to run a cord from the changer to the head unit. I was pretty sure when I replaced the orignal radio with a new one last year, that some one had replaced the radio before. And then un-replaced it.

Greasy Kid Stuff
I put the GMC frame up on saw horses in the driveway today and proceeded to scrub it down with degreaser. I removed a lot of grease and grime but there is still much work to do. I made a huge mess on the concrete.

After cleaning the top side, I needed to flip it over. The safest way to do this was to put it back on the ground, flip it over, and then lift it back up on the saw horses. That frame is heavy.

After putting the frame away this evening, I drove over to Mr. Killen's to borrow my sand blaster, or as I said to him, to borrow his sand blaster. Possession is 9/10's. While there I got to look over his freshly painted frame. His project is a '53 Ford. It is amazing how much better shape his truck is in than mine, considering it is almost 30 years older.

Assuming I have the time tomorrow, I will sand blast a few spots on the frame that I can't clean with the big stiff nylon bristle brush.

All the frame lifting I did tonday made me sore. I probably just need more exercise. Perhaps more frame lifting.

No comments: