Sunday, January 06, 2008

Today I removed and dissassembled the switches for the Miata power windows. The windows are slooooooow and I had already tried greasing the tracks so this had to be the fix.

After removing the center console and disconnecting the wiring, I removed the switch sub-assembly. The contacts for the switches were black with carbon. I removed the carbon build up using Liquid Wrench and then slid a flat file across the contacts to remove any remaining build up. Next I cleaned the rocker contacts and finally I tinned all the contact surfaces with solder. Another pass with the final and all the surfaces were level. Finally I buttoned it all back up and it was ready for testing.

Results: The windows now move faster than before, but they are still slower than they should be. Oh well, I don't roll them up very often anyway.

Next step: Take the car out for a Sunday afternoon drive. The temperature was in the mid 60's so how could one not take a drive.

I made a quick stop at a neighbors house before leaving the 'hood. Another local was there also. I hung for a few minutes discussing various matters of extreme importance with the two gentlemen.

During this conversation I found out that I had a friend who had done the "Russian Bride" thing. It was a really amazing story.

No comments: