Monday, August 16, 2010

Small Engine Repair

Tonight was the second week of small engine repair. I have learned a lot so far but it has not gone as expected. What did I expect? I guess I expected a little bit of lecture time with a few pictures on a white board or overhead projector followed by some bench time. What it has turned out to be is pretty much all bench time.

The way it works is you show up with something you have that is not working and attempt to fix it. The instructor will answer any questions you have and guide you when your lost. This style of learning works well for some but it is not my optimal method. Regardless, I have learned a lot so far and even taken lots of notes in my spiral notepad. (I will type the notes up later so that I can re-read it later when my memory is failing me - next week.)

To get the most out of this class, I just need to arrive each week with a list of questions. The instructor does a great job of answering questions, but first someone has to ask them. Sign me up to ask the stupid questions and maybe even a couple of not so stupid ones.

While in the class this evening, I helped a man remove the carb from his edger, the type with a vertical bladed mounted to a motor with a horizontal axle. The engine on the edge was a Briggs and Stratton. It turns out this motor and its carb were identical or nearly identical to the roto-tiller I worked on this summer. That was an interesting surprise. And then later in the evening while looking at a tiller which happened to be an MTD, 5 HP, I noticed it also had the same Briggs and Stratton motor along with the same carb. What are the odds? Apparently pretty high which is a good thing because I have a pretty good understanding of how this carb works, including the funky little fuel pump.

Learning can be so much fun when it is something you are interested in knowing about.

No comments: