Friday, August 26, 2005

Post #423
This evening I filled up the truck. Total cost: $64.50. Feeling I hadn't suffered enough, I came back home and hopped in the Miata to head back to the gas station for another fill up. $27. When I first brought it home, it didn't even take $20 to fill-er-up.

The Dodge has been bouncing during braking. I have been assuming this was due to warped rotors. This evening I removed the tires and checked the rotors. The runout on one was 0.002" and 0.003" on the other. Spec for the rotors afters turning is < 0.004" so I ruled that out as the problem.

After putting the tires back on I took it for a test drive to see if I could pick another possible culprit for the bouncing. It was still there but not as pronouced as before. The problem only occurs while braking so I don't think it is a balance problem.

While I was frustrated that I couldn't figure out what was wrong, I was relieved that the brakes weren't messed up again. Any ideas?

For the record, the rotor check occured before the fill up. The gas station trip occurred during the test drive. By the time I took the Miata out it was dark. The temperature made it a very pleasant night for a drive. I am considering taking another ride early tomorrow morning.

I got an email from John Deaton this week. He is moving back to Alabama. He will be living in Lexington. That is probably about 45 minutes from here. He and I go way back. We met in kindergarten.

2 comments:

Brian the Red said...

Alright, you are officially creeping me out. I bought gas for the Miata yesterday too - cost, $27. 10.271 gallons @ $2.629 per.

Anonymous said...

Hey you make it sound like such a long, long time ago ("we go way back"). Why it is only, let see, one, two, three... Never mind. Don't wanna go there!