Wednesday, November 14, 2007

881

A couple of weeks ago our digital camera called it quits. I was tasked with selection a new one. This turned into another obsession for me. Originally I planned to petition the finance committee for a digital SLR. I have wanted a Canon Rebel XT for a while. After thinking about it thought, I decided that it would not be very practical, what I actually needed was a sub-compact - something that would fit in my pocket. This was also the only requirement provided by the other member of the Obsession A/V club.

I consults with several friends who had recently purchased cameras, Consumer Reports, CNET, and the reviews on Amazon. I made trips to Wal-Mart, Target, and Best Buy to investigate the cameras in person. I made a spreadsheet and listed several features I felt were important, maximum cost, minimum resolution, maximum size, power up up time, etc. After about a week of investigating I had it narrowed down to one. And then back up to three, and then back down to one again. And then it was time to scour the net for a good price.

Today I placed the order. The new camera should be here in plenty of time for Turkey day.

The Charger had its oil changed yesterday. 10500 Miles

3 comments:

Brian the Red said...

Oh, you big tease!

Wadya get?

Rick said...

The Canon Powershot SD1000 Digital Elph. I would have liked a little more optical zoom but in this size 4x is about the max. The other features won out.

Brian the Red said...

That was actually my first runner-up. I went with the Panasonic because of the big zoom range and the 28mm low end. But I pay for that in camera size, the SD1000 is truly a pocket camera, while the TZ3 stretches that definition.