Saturday, June 24, 2006

My internet access as been spotty again this week. What to do, what to do?

Wednesday, Thursday and Friday of this week I went to a local high school (Buckhorn) to do observation, aka field experience, for an education class I am taking at ASU.

On Friday I drove the Miata to school. I was running late that morning. When I parked the car, I checked the sky and decided I would leave the top down to save some time. There was not a cloud in the sky. I checked the sky again during morning break. Still no clouds.

Shortly after lunch the sky turned gray very quickly and the clouds dropped buckets of water. By the time I got out to my car, there was standing water in the seat two inches deep. Is the ability of the seat to hold water the reason why they are called bucket seats?

I put the top up and one window. The other window decided it would only go half way up. Oh well, I thought, it is not like the interior could get any more wet than it already is.

I took a quick look at the sky before heading back inside. The sky was clear and blue in all directions except directly overhead. Sounds like a Ziggy comic strip, eh?

I was pretty much completely soaked when I got back inside. On the positive side, I was not warm all afternoon as I had been on Wednesday.

Ok, if you were paying much attention, you may have noted that I didn’t check the sky at lunch time. Yep! That is probably where I messed up.

The interior is mostly dry today. All except for the carpet. I left the car in the garage overnight with the top up. I don’t like to put it down while the top exterior is wet. Because the top usually stays down for days or weeks at a time I wait for it to dry out before folding it down. Don’t won’t any mildew.

Today the floor mats are out and the car is parked in the driveway with the top down. Things should dry up nicely. Assuming I remember to put it back in the garage before the afternoon thundershowers.

This was not the first time the interior got wet but it was by far the most severe soaking it has had while under my watch. And another positive side note, all the pollen has been washed out of the interior.

This weekend was the 2006 Heart of Dixie Metal Meet. I had intended to go. That was before I realized I had to do field observation on Friday. G’ is working today and I was unable to round up anyone to watch the kids. I may be able to swing by tomorrow afternoon for a little while but all the instruction will probably be over by then.

At last year’s metal meet I made a metal bowl from a flat piece of sheet metal. My intention this year was to use my woodworking skills to help build the fender bucks for a Bugatti they are building. I don’t have the metal working skills to contribute anything meaningful to that project, but I could have learned a lot just by watching. Maybe I will be able to check on their progress tomorrow afternoon.

[Update] I did manage to bring in the Miata before the afternoon thunderstorms rolled through. It was a pretty good storm. The power went out for a while.

No comments: