Sunday, June 11, 2006

What A Mess

Did I say the clear coat could not turn out any worse than it already was? I should have known better.

This afternoon, I intended to wet sand and then polish the paint. The clear was dry to the touch and I had waited the 24 hours for it to cure. Unfortunately something went wrong. The clear did not stick. It looked pretty good but it apparently did not cure. The clear was dry to the touch but it did not adhere to the paint. As I began to wet sand, it started peeling. What a mess!

I got most of the new clear off this afternoon. I still have a little work to do. I will probably just finish removing the new clear, and put some wax on it.

At this point I haven't figured out what went wrong. It could have been the humidity level was too high, the paint was old, or it was simply incompatible with the existing clear coat.

No comments: