Friday, November 24, 2006

Apple Pie

While on my recent camping expedition, one of the campers utilized my oven and made us a homemade apple pie. The pie was excellent. Was it because we were sitting in the woods at night around a large camp fire while the temperature around us dropped below freezing?

Maybe, but it was still a good pie.

I decided that I would try my hand a making said apple pie. The recipe was pretty simple. The filling was

4 Granny Smith apples
1/2 cup of sugar
1 teaspoon of cinnamon

And the crust was 2 1/3 cups of AP flour, 1 teaspoon of salt, 1 cup butter flavored crisco, and 8 tablespoons of water.

The eight table spoons of water was the last thing I measured. As I was measuring I realized that I had used the tablespoon, not the teaspoon when I measure the salt. Doh! Later I realized I did the same thing with the cinnamon.

What did this mean? The crust was saltly. No so salty as to be inedible, but salty enought that 1 cup of milk with your pie would probably not be enough. Too much cinnamon was not nearly as big a problem, but I would not recommend 4X'ing any ingredient in a recipe.

All in all, the pie turned out ok, even with my blunders. The crust was still pretty awesome. Next time I will get it right, and in the mean time I will consede that Jason makes a better apple pie than myself.

I snapped a couple of photos of the pie, because I was so dang proud of it. But as usually, I will not be sharing them with you. I suspect your getting use to it though.

No comments: