Friday, September 17, 2004

And So It Begins
The new old truck has been living in my garage for almost a week. I decided it was time to get started.

First goal: safety. The brakes are soft so my first goal was to fix them. Supposedly the front rotors and pads were replaced within the last 500 miles. I had already discovered that the rear reservoir of the master cylinder was almost empty. I also discovered the parking break cable was broken.

My neighbor is a very knowledgeable car guy. He offered to give me a hand. His suggestion was to bleed the brake lines and check the drums. The drums were a bear to get off. The shoes looked fine. I broke the value screw in half trying to get it off the wheel cylinder. He did the same on the other side. Since I was going to the parts store anyway, I decided I would go ahead and replace the brake shoes. At $11 a pair (life time warranty), it would be worth it not to have to take the drums off again anytime soon. The wheel cylinders cost $10 a piece.

I am using a Haynes auto manual. It is reasonable but it certainly could use more photos and less terse verbage.

After getting home, I discovered that the right brake adjustment assembly was stuck. The auto parts store web site says I will be spending another $6 tomorrow morning.

After the brakes shoes are installed and the lines bled, I will probably tackle some electrical work next. The headlights and horn don't work. The wires to the horn are disconnected. I have no idea what's up with the head lights. They worked when I was inspecting it before I bought it. Probably a fuse. I will probably get around to this stuff around spring of 2030.

Ivan
Hurricane Ivan caused school to be canceled on Thursday and Friday. The kids stayed home so someone had to stay home with them. I spent a lot of time at home over the last two days.

No comments: