Sunday, September 12, 2004

New Toy
After much looking, today I bought a new toy. New to me anyway. I got an old 1972 GMC Pickup. Since the beginning of time I have wanted a 1967-1972 era Chevy short wheel base, fleet side pickup. The GMC is essentially the same as a Chevy. And now I have one. I will share the story of the search later.

Out With The Old
Tuesday night, David M. and I cleaned up all the wood we had gotten at the barn. This involved removing lots or rusted nails from the hard white oak. There were just a couple of pieces that didn't make the cut. Those got thrown in the back of the truck (The newer 1998 Dodge). I returned the bad pieces to a burn pile out by the barn. It happens to be very near my house.

This afternoon I was dusting off the remaining 'good' wood and moving it into the wood storage area. This involves carrying large heavy boards up a flight of stairs. I had about half of them put away when I noticed some dust falling off one of the boards sitting on the saw horses. After closer inspection, I discovered there was a powder post beatle enjoying an afternoon snack. I immediately got all the newly classified 'bad' wood out of the garage. All this wood is now heading back to the burn pile as well. And just hours prior to this I was gloating to one of my neighors (also a wood worker) about all this free white oak I had gotten.

Vrooooom!
This evening I went outside to take the trash can to the street and close up the garage. While I was out there I decided I had to crank up the old truck one more time just to hear it run. Did I mention it has a 305 V8. It sounds incredible. David M. went with me to pick up the truck today. We had to jump start it because the battery was dead from sitting unused for a while. When It did crank, it went VROOOOOOOOM! I saw a smile cross David's face. It sounds awesome. A picture will soon follow.

1 comment:

Mike said...

Congrats on the new ride. I bet it would have looked great cruising Johnson or Dawson's Corner. Almost as cool as the 2 tone, 79 long bed Chevy with the apartment-sized camper shell.