Sunday, October 17, 2004

Friday afternoon I hit 5 boneyards to look at the supply of available used parts for the truck. (I did not see any Ranchero parts.) There are quite a few trucks, but they are all picked over. I did purchase an ashtray. I had a choice of blue or red. The interior of mine is red, so the decision is easily made. Why did I need an ashtray if I don't smoke? n
Friday afternoon I also put the truck up on jack-stands. Using the creeper, I then entered a scary world of spiders, oil, and grease. By now I have gotten most of the spiders off the truck but I did manage to find one.

The purpose of raising the truck was to make it easier to inspect for leaks. I found three. The rear main seal, the front seal, and the oil pan gasket all leak. My father-in-law said they could all probably be fixed with the engine in place but because there are 3, it would probably take less time if I pulled the engine. DM is sure going to be happy when I volunteer his help.

I can get an engine stand for $35 and HD rents engine hoists. I may be able to find a friend to loan me a hoist. If I start now, I wonder if I could be done by the end of the year. I wonder if I can actually get started before the end of the year.

1 comment:

Mike said...

Why did I need an ashtray if I don't smoke?

Whaaaaaaaa? Well, Mr Smarty Pants, tell me, where else are you going to stick parking lot receipts, sucker wrppers, straw wrappers from Sonic, a spare set of batteries for the digital camera, a couple of dog food coupons, your grocery store card, your Costco card, your Sam's card, your Blockbuster card AND a spare set of keys to the garage? On the dash, like a redneck? I certainly hope not. That would be tacky.

I promise you this, my Rancehero will have a nice ashtray. And it will be full. Of junk.