Thursday, October 28, 2004

I have been working on cleaning up the engine. The ultimate goal is replacing the rear main seal, the front seal, and the oil pan gasket.

Before pulling the engine I checked the compression. The Haynes book suggests that the nominal compression for a small block is 150 PSI. Seven of the eight in my engine measured 185 PSI +/- 5%. The other measured only about 95 PSI. It has been suggested to the me that the 185 reading is ok. The 95 PSI reading indidicates either bad rings or a bad valve. The cyclinder is still firing so I will probably leave it alone for now.

After pulling the engine, I was able to find the casting number hidden away beneath some greasy grimey grunge. The casting number is 14010201. Per the internet, this is a 305 ci, 2 bolt main bearing, cast between 1980 and 1984. The truck probably originally had a 307 but it doesn't now. This engine has probably been in the truck for at least five years based on what i know about the trucks history.

Today I removed the power steering pump, water pump, alternator, and all the pulleys including the harmonic balancer. Assuming I find some time tomorrow, I will drop the oil pan and remove the timing chain cover, cleaning as I go.

While on an errand today, I got caught out in the rain with the top down. I didn't need the extra shower, but I guess it couldn't hurt.

No comments: