Sunday, October 03, 2004

Where Am I?
Last year I got a Garmin eTrex Vista GPS. I had borrowed one from a friend in the past. They are pretty cool. To me, it is nothing more than a high tech toy but I guess that is why I bought it.

I also have a cable that allows me to hook the GPS up to my Axim PDA. I have tried to get MS Pocket Streets to work on my Axim with the GPS several times. There is apparrently a problem with this setup. I have actually gotten it to work once out of more than ten tries.

MS Streets and Trips is pretty cool but it doesn't run on a PDA. I have tried it with my laptop but the laptop is very awkward to use will riding in the Miata. The real time positioning is nice though.

I downloaded a demo of Mapopolis (again) for my Axim. I also downed several demo maps. Mapopolis also provides real time positioning. It also allows route selection and provides directions. The directions are displayed on screen on a map with written directions and verbal directions. This application rocks. I will be giving the demo a good workout this week as we do some traveling.

The best thing about the GPS is when Jordan asks how long til we get home I can tell him we are 123.4 miles away with an ETA of 2 hours and 11 minutes.

No comments: