Friday, July 15, 2005

Punch Bug
At lunch today I spotted a Volkswagen Beetle for sale. When I decided to restore a vehicle, I had a difficult time choosing between a Beetle and the late 60's GM truck. In the end the truck won out because around here they are easier to come by and less expensive.

The VW we spotted today was a '72. It was light blue and in decent shape. A little bit of surface rust but no real dents to speak of. Cost $1150 OBO. I immediately began to try and convince my friend that he needed to buy this car. I think he actually wanted to buy this car, but then he would have one car to many. His secondary vehicle is a black Miata. (That reminds me, I forgot to tell the story about towing his car home last Friday morning.)

He had a Beetle in high school and felt some nostalgia for it. I even offered to store it for him. And do any required body work. And help rebuild the engine. No takers on this one.

Perhaps someday I will have the time/money/space for a little bug in my garage. And just by coincidence, I have been reading this guys web site. He has a 1950 sunroof split window VW and a 1957 oval window VW. Check it out, but plan on spending a few hours there reading. You have been warned.

Let me know if you need the phone number to call about the '72 (Mike). Yeah, Yeah, I know, that would be one car too many.

The car is parked in front of an old building with dusty windows. I have stopped there before to look in the windows because lined up inside are a bunch of old cars and trucks. There is a 5o-ish GMC pickup, a Bel Air, and many others I did not recognize. I seem to recall a '30s vintage Ford also.

1 comment:

Brian the Red said...

Love the tools descriptions on the Altar page - HACKSAW: One of a family of cutting tools built on the Ouija board principle. It transforms human energy into crooked, unpredictable motion, and the more you attempt to influence its course, the more dismal your future becomes.