Wednesday, December 21, 2005

What's in a Name

I was reading on the old truck forums and I came across some information on identifying the rear axle for my old truck. Quicker than a duck on a June-bug, I was out in the garage with a wire brush trying to scrub some gunk off the right side of the axle to find the ID code.

A more reliable source than myself, suggested if the axle is original, it is probably a Dana 60. These were apparently pretty standard on the GMCs, though not necessarily on the Chevys. They usually came with Eatons.

I found some numbers and letters. 'RHWW2702'. There were some spaces also but I didn't try to remember exactly where they were. These characters came off the front right side of the axle. It turns out I was probably supposed to be looking at the rear right side. That gunk was not real easy to remove so I will wait til this weekend to take another look at it.

Now I am right back where I started. I still don't know what type of axle it is or whether it is a posi-track. I suppose it doesn't really matter because as long as it works, it is not getting replaced. Still though, it is fun to try to identify and learn as much about the truck as possible.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Glad to hear the painting on the frame is going smoother.