Saturday, March 31, 2007

Vent

Today was not a good day for me. It is unfortunate that it happened on a weekend too.

Last night I prepared for todays installation of the stripes by reading everything I could find on the internet regarding vinyl stripe installation. This morning I printed one of the sets of instructions and made a list of all the tools and supplies I would need. Jordan and I made a quick trip to Home Depot to pick up a few things I didn't have: two inch wide painter painters tape, some sharp razor blades, and a spay bottle.

Once back at the house I got started by spending the next hour running a piece of tape from the bottom of the front bumper, up the hood, across the back deck, and down the back bumper. Getting the tape straight is critical because it is used to line up the stipes. If it is not centered and straight, neither are the lines.

At this point I reviewed the instructions yet again and started the installation of a couple of small pieces that go between the top and the front end of the rear deck. So far so good. Next I did the hood and then the trunk.

This is when things started to fall apart. The flat part on the top went fine, but there was a lot of extra vinyl on the outside edge because the linear distance along the outside edge of the stripe was about two inches longs than the linear distance along the inside edge. The heat gun helped a little bit but in the end, I royally messed this piece up.

At this point I went back inside to re-read the internet, specifically the tips and tricks for installing vinyl stuff. Ok, I found one that might work. Unfortunately I also read something I hadn't previously read. (Don't install vinyl stripes on a freshly painted car for at least 180 days so the paint will completely cure. *Sinking feeling*) Back to the garage.

I removed the messed up piece to give it another go. About this time I notice a dirty spot about an inch long and 1/8 inch wide. That is not a dirty spot *four-letter-word*, some of the new paint came off when I removed the vinyl. I am feeling pretty stupid at this point. Why didn't I read that before. I would have gladly waited a few more months. *&^%$#@! Try to cool off. A little touch up paint should do the trick. Hopefully.

After sufficient cooling off time I went ahead with the rear deck. It went better this time but it was still not good enough for my liking.

At this point it is about half done and I am satisfied with half the work I have done. I have enough vinyl to replace the less than perfect pieces again, but probably not enough skill to make it good enough. What to do? What to do?

Perfect timing. Here's Brian and his convertible ready to go for a ride. (No not that Brian, the other Brian.) It was a nice day for a ride but I was distracted. Distracted by the vinyl on the trailing edge of the trunk lid and fearing that if I remove it to try again, I might lose some more paint.

An hour later I am back at home. After a little time and distance it is not looking so bad. I decide to go ahead and install the three inches above the top of the windshield.

The kid have now come outside to ride their bikes. Because Brianna is still new to riding, I asked her to stay away from the Charger. A couple minutes later she is crying. I exit the garage to see what has happened. She was playing follow the leader (on Bikes) with Jordan. Jordan rode through the three foot gap between the Charger and the A/C. Brianna tried to follow and hit the Charger. She was not hurt, but she was upset because she knew she just did what I asked her not to do. The impact put an 18" long scratch down the side of the Charger. I wanted to cry when I saw this. Get over it Rick. It's just a car!

Later after dinner, I showed the mostly striped Miata to Ginger. She said the workmanship was good but she didn't really care for the stripes. My thoughts were just the opposite. I liked the stripes but I am disappointed with the workmanship. Hmm.

I would like a redo on today. On take 2, I think I would skip the stripes, leave the Charger in the garage, and be the caboose in an exciting game of follow the leader on bicyles.

6 comments:

Terry said...

Too bad it is not Groundhog Day and you are not Bill Murray...

Bummer dude...

I feel your disappointment 100% and wish I could do something to make it better...I promise, no smart remarks when I see it!!

Rick said...

At this point I don't know if I am going to keep them on.

I will probably try adding the most difficult piece on the lower bumper. If it doesn't work out ok, it all goes.

If it is ok, I will probably keep them on a while.

Cross your fingers.

Love Bears All Things said...

I can just imagine how upset Bri was. Wishing she had not listened to her big brother. Ever been there, Terry?

Terry said...

I plead the Fifth!!

Actually, I don't recall any time that I participated in something that lead to my demise... Hmmm I am sure it happened, but I am also sure I whole heartedly participated!!

Poor Bri-Baby!!

Brian the Red said...

Talk to you Dodge dealer and find out when the ding & paint guy comes in, I bet the Charger could be fixed to like new for a C-note.

Ginger said...

I think the stripes are starting to grow on me like most things you do. I mean I didn't want a white truck (you bought one anyway), I didn't want a charger (you bought one anyway), etc. I almost drove it to work this morning.