Wednesday, December 08, 2004

42
Here is a clip from an email I wrote a few days ago. You may find it enlightening.

>
> As I was sipping my tea, I asked myself "If heat rises why does ice
> float?" So then I said to myself "Troy is a smart guy, surely he can
> explain why the specific gravity of ice is lower than water."
>

Troy responded with the following:

>
> http://www.pa.msu.edu/~sciencet/ask_st/040694.html
>

If you have any questions and you are also too lazy to Google for the answer, send them to me and I will forward them to Troy.

And for those who realized my blunder, I will now attempt to make amends. Specific gravity is a term that generally applies to minerals. The term I should have used was specific weight. If you would like to know more, just drop me a line and I will have Troy Google up some additional information.

No comments: