Wednesday, November 30, 2005

More Magic Smoke

I have been getting more email regarding my adventure with my hard driving dying back in spring of 2004. Here is my response to the last one. Read on if your looking for info on the L6278.

Hi Kevin,

Sorry to hear about your hard drive problems.

Check out todays post:

http://ram92.ods.org/2005/11/western-digital-harddrive-using.html

It will link you to my follow up story that detailed the end result. Unfortunately I was not able to retrieve my data. I suspect the controller chip frying was a symptom of something else that went wrong, though there were no visual clues that would indicate what it might have been. I could have been a thermal problem, or a good zap of ESD. Good luck with your efforts.

You might check with your friends to see if any of them have the same model hard drive. Keep in mind it must be the same size as well. Switching controller boards is pretty easy and relatively safe. If your lucky you can retrieve your data. I tried several different controllers without any luck. Fortunately, this did not damage any of the harddrives I borrowed the controllers from.

If you have any success, please let me know. Also I will be glad to answer any specific questions you may have.

Best Regards,

Rick Martindale

No comments: