Sunday, March 26, 2006

Say Buddy, Can I Borrow Some Cache

Thursday night was Guys Night Out. Our Sunday school class does this once a month. This month I volunteered to plan it. Typically it involves meeting at someones house to play video games or watch a movie. This month was going to be atypical.

Two weeks ago, I was asked what we were going to do. In jest, I repeated the plans I had just heard for Girls Night Out. A trip to Chili's. Woo hoo! I even said we were going on the same night at the same time. I was kidding. It got printed up like that. So much for trying to be funny.

For the record, I am excellent liar, and people often believe my stretches of the truth. Sometimes my sense of humor is misinterpreted too. This was one of those cases. When I corrected the mistake, I pointed out that we couldn't go out the same night at the same time. I would need to be at home watching the kids.

The real plan I decided was going to be a geo-caching expedition. This was heralded as the most creative guys night out ever. I selected 7 micro-caches all within about a mile of each other. We had a blast.

We had five guys show up. Not a bad turn out considering how many folks were out of town on spring break. Only one dude had any experience. Everyone thought that I did but I set them straight.

It was cold and dark that evening. Fortunately I had the presence of mind to tell everyone to bring a flash light. GPS's in hand we crusied around University drive hunting for our treasures. It is amazing how a micro-cache can be hidden in plain sight. Two in the Target shopping center parking lot, one in the Wal-Mart parking lot, one at the cinema, one at McDonalds, one at Holiday Inn, and one at Macaroni Grill. All in all, it was a good time.

For more info on this sport, check out www.geocaching.com. You may be surprised to find out how many caches are near you. And you will never look at the Target parking lot in the same way again.

No comments: