Monday, November 22, 2004

Tomorrow is D-Day
How is that for a cheesy title. Tomorrow is the release date for U2's new album "How to Distmantle and Atomic Bomb." I suppose I am feeling a little bit fanatical about it because I have to go out and get it on the release date. Of course I have done this a few other times as well. I am pretty certain I did this for "The Joshua Tree", "Rattle and Hum", and "All That You Can't Leave Behind". The first U2 album I purchsed was at Wal-Mart in Burleson Texas back in 1984, twenty years ago. Someday maybe I will tell you about when I went to see "Rattle and Hum" at the movie theater. (Get it? D-Day and Atomic Bomb.)

Food for Thought
Tonight we had dinner at the Lomo Grill in Waynesville, NC. The food was excellent. I had pan seered tuna with roasted artichokes and a curry broth and a glass of chardonnay. Ginger had an excellent steak. When the waitress bought out our entree's I accused her of stereo typing us. She set the steak down in front of me. Dessert was excellent as well. I had chocolate ganache. Ginger had a tiramisu cheesecake.

Lunch today was at the Deerpack Rest. on the Biltmore Estate. I usually have a disdain for buffet's so Ginger didn't warn me ahead of time. The food was actually pretty good considering it was a buffer. Turkey and dressing. I bet I have some more of that later this week. Lunch included dessert. I had a small piece of mint chocolate cake. G had a little bit of the rasberry cheese cake. We were trying not to fill up since we were headed over to the Biltmore Winery next.

While I am talking about food, I will go ahead with last nights meal also. Dinner last night was at a place called Providence 260 (or maybe 620). I had the Maryland Lump Cakes with a Red Curry Sauce. Ginger had a Portabello and Chicken Pasta Alfredo. The food here was simply average. I tried the Highland Gaelic Ale..

If we keep eating like this, I will be miserable in a few more days. I suppose I could start a diet now, just in time for Thanksgiving.

The Winery
I have told people before that the reason winery's give free samples is so that you will buy more than you would normally by {sober}. We must have tried 6 or 8 different types of wine. We ended up buying 5 bottles. G picked out 3, myself 2.

I don't remember the exact production numbers but I made this calculation at the time. For every 100 bottles of wine produced at this winery, 3.5 of them are used for wine tastings.

Geography
I have been aware for a long time that my geographical knowledge of the North East is pretty bad. I became aware of this a few years ago while looking at a map prior to going to visit some folks at Lucent near Boston. We flew into New Hampshire which I had no idea was next to MASS.

To further show my ignorance, I will mention that earlier this year I was suppose to make a trip to New York City. Again looking at a map, I was startled to discover that New York City was southwest of Boston. Perhaps I shouldn't feel so bad about that one since so much of NY state is actually further north than Boston.

So here I go again. I am looking at the map today and I discovery that if we travel due north from Ashville, NC I will end up in....Tennessee. And why not mention that I never realized that South Carolina was actually East of Georgia. Yep, most of South Carolina is further south than where I live.

In my defense, I understood geography when I lived in Texas. If you went East, West, North, or South you were still in Texas. Especially South and West.

Perhaps I have a mental block for this thing called geography. As a matter of fact I don't even recall taking geography in school. That is the strength of the mental block.

Did I mention I had my picture taken on a tractor?

Orange you glad I didn't say banana.

No comments: