Monday, February 28, 2005

A few weeks ago I needed to use the pressure washer to assist in the de-greasing process. Myself, David M., and neighbor Lott all tried to get the thing to start. Lott knows more about these things than David and I. He judged it was either flooded or needed a new plug. Seems pretty obvious. I ended up borrowing his that day because mine was being such a pain.

Saturday, because it was nice and I was messing with spark plugs anyway, I decided to write down the part number of the spark plug that goes in my pressure washer. The engine is a 5.5 HP Honda. The pressure washer is a Cambell Hausfeld. I am pretty sure I spelled that wrong. After writing down the part number, I decided to try to crank it. First pull! Guess it was flooded last time.

At this point two stroke engines are more of a mystery to me than four stroke. The whole thing with setting the choke, etc. Anyone want to explain to me yet again how that is all suppose to work.

This pressure washer has not been very reliable. It tends not to want to run when I need it. This is actually the second one. The first one never would crank. At all! I returned it the same day and got another one. I should have known better.

Seriously though. When trying to start one of these beasts how should the throttle and choke be set and when should they be changed and how do you keep from flooding it and how do you keep from killing it.

Awaiting your reply.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Full choke, full throttle. Pull on the start chord until it attempts to crank. Half choke, pull until it starts and hold the throttle in for a few seconds or until it will run decently. Turn choke off and have fun.

Anonymous said...

With my tiller, full choke and full or fast throttle for no more than two pulls, then back off on the choke to about 2/3. Tiller usually fires on 2nd or 3rd pull, let it turn over three or four times and begin to back off on the choke. As you back off, the engine will smooth out on its running. Also, if helps to leave it out in warm sunlight for a couple of hours first. dad