Wednesday, February 09, 2005

Tuesday nights auto body class went well. I took an outer bed fender, the front bed wall, and an inner bed fender.

Creg K. and Dwayne W. worked on the front bed wall. They removed fixed a very bad ding. This ding was about an inch deep. I kid you not. Excellent job. A lot of old body filler fell of this piece while they were banging with the hammer. They even both got a chance to weld on it.

I worked on the outer bed fender. I basically spent the time removing about a million tons of body filler. There is some rust that needs to be fixed, but it doesn't seem to bad. I will try to get a photo posted soon.

Before heading to class yesterday, I predicted it would be a productive night. I had noticed that weeks 1 and 3 were excellent, while weeks 2 and 4 will a little disappointing. Based on the odd/even pattern I expected a good night.

Last week, the instructor recommended that I buy a new front bed wall because the one I had was in such bad shape. This week he recommended that I buy a new bed fender because the one I had was in such bad shape.

It is my opinion that the instructor is used to thinking as a collision repair expert and sees my parts as being time intentsive to repair. I am interested in doing restoration and I am willing to spend the time rather than the money to get it repaired. I not trying to run a profitable collision repair business and pass the cost on to the car owner. He recanted both times and admitted the parts were repairable. 'Just be prepared to spend some time on it.' Not a problem.

All is good. I have a lot of bondo removal in my future. At spots the bond was 0.5" deep. The ding had to be at least an inch. It is also interesting to me that there are two layers of different colors of body filler, seperated by a coat of paint.

The bed side was originally white, then yellow, then bondo, then red, then bondo, then red. Not parts are bare metal.

No comments: