Thursday, January 12, 2006

Perfect Weather for a Convertible
This morning I got to drive a Pontiac Solstice. A nice silver one.

There I was, there I was, there I was, in my office. Ok, actually I was in Joes office. I looked out the window and saw a guy putting the top up on a nice new silver car. Due to the distance I was uncertain as to whether it was a Crossfire or a Solstice. I decided to go check it out.

As I crossed the parking lot, I realized it was Chad. Feeling bold, I started the conversation, "Nice car, can I drive." Feeling generous, Chad unwisely said sure. Thanks cheaster.

Like any new convertible owner, Chad drove in this morning with the top down. I suspect the temp was probably somewhere between 35-45 F.

Driving the Pontiac reminded me of driving Jeff's BMW Z3. (Aside: Jeff sold me the Miata when he decided to get the Beamer Z3, a downgrade in my opinion :). The Solstice is geared low and the car wraps around you like a glove. The top was down for the ride but I forgot to put the windows down. The interior has a nice clean sprase design. I enjoyed the drive and had a lot of fun.

Afterwards I let Chad drive the Miata. After riding in the Pontiac, the Miata was almost a raw go-cart like ride. Yeehaw! I think I actually enjoyed riding in my passenger seat as much as driving the Solstice. I could be just fooling myself so I won't be jealous of Chad's wife's new car. But then again, maybe not. The Miata doesn't have the womb like enclosed feeling of the Z3, Solstice, S2000. When your in the Miata with the top down, your out there! Hopefully I can get another chance to drive it after he gets a few miles on it. The odometer had 103 mile on it when I took the helm.

For lunch I headed to Cracker Barrel to meet Troy and Dave. I invited Matt to go along. Matt drives an S2000, though he previously had a Miata. He also has a Karman Ghia hidden around here somewhere. (Joe, whose office I mentioned earlier has an older Morris Mini. Someday he is going to give it to me. Keep your fingers crossed.)

By lunch the temp was up in the 60's. I offered to let Matt drive the Miata to CB. He eagerly accepted and mentioned more than once that the Miata was more fun to drive than the Honda S2000. How can I argue with that? I drove back. Yeehaw!

I happen to know where a nice used red Corvette convertible is for sale. Hopefully with a manual transmission. Perhaps I will go give it a test drive soon. Anyone want to ride along?

Oh yeah, and the ride home was nice too. We need more days during the winter like today. Write your congressman.

1 comment:

Brian the Red said...

Now go test drive an 06 MX-5. You will be surprised at how much it will feel like those other newer or more expensive automobiles. I got to drive my sister-in-law's '97 over Christmas and I was reminded how much rawer and fun the early Miatas were. Not sorry I drive an NB, but I will always have soft spot in my heart for my '90.

I'm sure it is they way MGB owners felt about the MGA, nice to have roll-up windows, but the elemental sports car experience had been watered down some.