Sunday, April 22, 2007

Aspartame

This morning I decided to give up aspartame. Why? It just seemed like a good idea. Perhaps this will force me to drink more water.

Yesterday I read another one of those scary articles recently that talks about the possible side effects. Basically it said the stuff will make you stupid. Does one need another reason?

Several years ago I gave up regular sodas because I decided I didn't need the extra calories. I generally avoid fruit juice for the same reason. Milk, beer, and wine all belong here also but I occassionaly make exceptions. Actually, I have been having a glass of red wine every night, but it is purely medicinal.

So to recap, no regular sodas, no diet sodas, skip the juice, etc. What does that leave?

Water, coffee, tea. I usually limit myself to two cups of coffee a day, otherwise I get the jitters.

Now it is just water and tea. Unsweetened of course. Unless I am Thomas Pitt BBQ, then one must definitely have the sweet tea, on the rare occassion.

H20. Pretty exciting.

More tea sir? Yes, definitely.

10 comments:

Mike said...

Yeah the nothign but water deal is kicking my butt. I hate tea and don't like coffee.

I was hitting the juice bottle hard. but I getting away from much of that now, too.

Plus, I have to pee all the damn time.

Rick said...

I love juice! Unfortunately, most fruit juices have more calories than soft drinks!

Love Bears All Things said...

Since the tea at home is decaf, you've cut your intake of caffiene way down. I imagine that means a headache is coming on.
I ran out of Sweet n Low yesterday. I use just a pinch in my coffee. Maybe I'll try drinking it with just milk.

Rick said...

I don't usually have a problem when I decrease caffiene intake. I swear it off every now and then for a week or so just to see if it will hurt.

If it doesn't kill you, it will make you stronger.

Brian the Red said...

I quit smoking and I thought that was the hardest thing in the world to do, but giving up diet sodas is impossible. No way can I just drink water.

Rick said...

It is definintely not for the faint of heart.

This afternoon I experienced a serious craving. Fortunately there were no diet drinks around to be had.

Wish me luck with tomorrow.

Terry said...

Does this mean I have to bring my own cooler, and hide beverages in my trunk when I come to visit??

Rick said...

No, I still have a whole pantry full of diet drinks: Diet Grapico, Diet Sunkist, Diet Pepsi.

It's all yours, if you want it.

And the DP in the fridge too.

Angel said...

My uncle had epilepse as a child and by his teens it had disappeared altogether. In his 40's he started drinking cola with Aspartame and started to have grand mal (sic) seizures. So bad that he wrecked his car or almost injure himself horribly on the ground. His doctor ordered him to stop drinking and eating things with Aspartame. That's enough knowledge for me.

Rick said...

Hi Angel,

I suspected I would get some harassment for my decision.

Instead, I have only gotten support.