Sunday, January 09, 2005

And finally, this evening I made a quick trip to the gas station to fill up the tank on the Miata. It was mostly empty and I don't like having to stop on the way to work in the mornings. Traffic is bad enough without having to fight for a fuel pump. The drive was chilly with the top down but well worth the chill. I took a couple of back roads I don't normally take because I figured the traffic would be lighter and I would enjoy the drive a little bit more. It was nice. I was wearing my long sleeve yellow t-shirt, shorts, Auburn cap, and gloves. I took the gloves off once I got to the station. I didn't won't to look any goofier than normal.

While fueling up, I asked the guy at the next pump if I could look under his truck. He thought that was an odd request but said sure. I told him what I was up to and took a quick peek. I still haven't found what I am looking for. I was trying to figure out what is suppose to be hooked up to a hole on the top driver side of my TH350 transmission. There was nothing there when I dropped the transmission, but that doesn't mean there isn't something missing. When I crawled out from under the truck, the guy asked me if I had it figured out. Nope I couldn't see it because the truck was so low and unfortunately I hadn't brought a jack and jack stands. He seemed amused. Not very often you get to see someone crawl under a car in a gas station parking lot. Especially when it is not their car. He made a few guesses: vacuum line or kickdown cable. I already know where the transmission fluid lines connect which run to the radiator. I also know where the throttle velocity (TV) cable connects and where the vacuum line connects to the vacuum modulator. At this point I even remember that the other end of the vacuum line connects to the intake manifold, not the carb. What I don't know is what the extra hole is for.

No comments: