Saturday, April 23, 2005

Another GMC Update
Today I hooked the transmission lines to the radiator, added a few boths to the fenders, and bolted the bed floor on. I also adjusted the timing. Initially I set it it to 4 degrees BTDC but then I remembered I probably have a high performance cam and solid lifters. My neighbor Lott showed me how to set it by listening to the motor when it cranks. I now have a lot more power! Just look at the two black tire marks in the driveway. We tweaked on the idle screw a little too. It is now able to idle at a lower rpm since the timing is closer to perfect. I was told I could back it off a little bit if I wanted to but I would lose a little bit of power.

Before adjusting the timing, I climbed into the engine bay, removed the distributor and adjusted its position. That requires one to turn the oil pump with the distributor removed. This had to be done so that I could twist the distributor further. The vacuum advance thingie was pressed against the intake manifold. Once the oil pump shaft it twisted, the distributor can be reinstalled in an alternate postion without modifying the timing. Perfection.

Last night I installed the hood, front bumper, and outer grill. Today while twisting the distributor I wished I hadn't put the hood on, but all is well that ends well. I also removed the ignition switch. It is messed up (part of the plastic is melted) and needs to be replaced. The local parts store has them for about $15. I will probably keep the same key cylinder in it.

My current plan is to get more of the wiring functional. I am planning on building my own wiring harnesses. The '72 Chevy Chassis Service Manual has a nice schematic of all the trucks wiring.

Diet
Now that is an ugly four letter words. I have been thinking for a few weeks that I should try to lose a few pounds. Each week I would think next week. Sunday I thought next week. Monday morning I decided today is the starting day.

I decided to go the high protein route (low carb). This method was very successful for me about three years ago. Things are going well so far. I have seen the scale drop 9 pounds this week. My orignal goal was only 7. I figure I will probably continue for another week or two. The second week is never as easy or as successful as the first.

And don't forget to drink lots of water. That is the real trick. Just imagine how much extra exercise you get if you have to go to the bathroom every 15 minutes.

No comments: