Thursday, April 28, 2005

L6278
This is a follow up to a prevous post at the request of a reader (Drew K.) who found my blog while searching for information on the L6268 chip.

After having the L6278 swapped out from the good controller to the one that burnt up, I installed the repaired controller back in the driver. Click click click went the harddrive. But alas, the drive did not work.

My suspicion is that more that just the L6278 was fried. It was not obvious to me what other parts might be damaged.

In the end I had the good chip put back on the good controller. When all was said and done, the good drive was still functional and all my data on the fried drive was lost.

I suspect one of those data retrieval companies could have recovered it but it just wasn't worth the estimate I got.

Today I don't even remember what was on the harddrive. It must have been good stuff though because I spent many hours attempting to get the drive to operate just long enough to back up the data.

While this technique didn't work for me, I have seen a story where a guy swapped controller boards and recovered his data. Good luck.

For the record, quite a few people end up on my site looking for information about this part. L6278 has been in the Monthly Top-10 list of words my site is searched for every single month since I posted that entry.

No comments: