Sunday, April 24, 2005

This afternoon I replaced the sprinkler pipe I cracked on Wednesday. There is still a lot of work to do in the flower beds on the sprinkler but it will wait.

I was hoping to get the garage cleaned up this afternoon but just as I got started Jordan asked me to come inside and play Age of Empires with him. This computer game is his obsession of the week. I told him earlier today that I would play it with him, so I dropped everything back on the bench and closed up the shop. Cleanup can wait til tomorrow.

MRC Command 2000
I purchased a used MRC Command 2000 on ebay this evening. For those not in the know, this is an entry level DCC system for model railroading. If you still don't know what I am talking about, go learn about it somewhere else.

I have been thinking about designing and building my own DCC system for a few years and just recently I got motivated enough to resume doing some of the research. I decided it would be prudent to play with a real system before building my own. I got a pretty reasonable deal on ebay so I can probably resell it later and break even. I am currently working on obtaining a factory equipped DCC loco also. These should get some good run time. I expect the kids will enjoy playing with these almost as much as myself. I guess you can call this the obsession of the week.

What's Next?
What's next for the truck? I am considering installing trailer lights on the back of the truck so it can get back on the street. Technically this would not be much of a challenge. There is a lot of wiring work that could be done. I am still considering replacing it all. And building the new harnesses myself. I am amazed at the prices of the aftermarket stuff. After all, stranded 14 gauge wire is only 11 cents a foot at Home Depot.

Today I was going to replace the ignition switch. I gathered it up will all the surrounding parts to head to the parts store. Before leaving I gave it a good once over. My inspection actually shows it to be in pretty good shape. I am not certain that it is original. It appears not to be 30+ years old. What I really need to replace is the wiring connector that mates up to the ignition switch. I don't know if I can find one of those, but I can just connect the individual wires using crimped connected to the spades on the switch. If I go this route I would put heat shrink on each of the wires to protect against shorting. It will be nice to actually be able to start the truck from inside the cab.

The next area really needing work is the bedside fenders. I have been ignoring them since I declared my independence from auto-body collision school. This will give me the opportunity to do a little more welding!

I don't really know what I will do next. We'll just have to wait and see what hits me next time I head out to the garage.

Repairing Terry's dovetailed drawers are probably what I need to be working on.

No comments: