Sunday, June 26, 2005

This afternoon I went out for a short ride in the Miata. That is the short version of the story.

The long version would include details about stopping to talk with Mr. Melberg about his truck restoration efforts. He had a very impressive shop. It was the kind of shop that makes you want to go home and sweep the floor. With lots of time and effort my garage could be that clean and organized.

After I returned home I decided to crank up the old truck again. It hit on the first try. I cruised up and down the driveway a couple of times. I had already decided this would be its final voyage in its current condition.

It is now time to strip the truck down to the frame. The tear down should go rather quickly. I expect it will be a long time before it gets put all back together again.

Mr. Melberg showed me a few products he uses that I need to remember so I thought I would make a note of them here.

First is Roloc. These are abrasive pads that go on a 90 degree die grinder or speed sander. They make a quick job of removing paint and leave the metal very smooth. It is also faster than 40 grit paper on a DA.

Second was SAIT abrasive wheels for the 4" grinder. He said they cost a little bit more but last longer and remove material faster. Material in this case being metal.

Third is POR-15. He used this stuff to paint his frame. It looked great.

No comments: