Thursday, July 15, 2004

"I am not quite dead yet"
Really, reports of my death have been greatly exagerated.  
 
At about 2 or 3 am on Wednesday morning I decided to take a road trip.  I woke up my wife.  She said, "sure, lets go to the hospital."  I said, "What the hay!" and off we went.

At about 10 pm I started experiencing some slight pain in my shoulders.  I tried the hot tub out but it didn't help.  I went to bed close to midnight.  I stayed there for almost 10 minutes.  I couldn't lay on my left side, my right side, or my back.  I moved to the sofa so my fidgeting wouldn't keep Ginger awake.  For the next couple of hours I tried to find a position that I could stand.  It gradually got worse.  I eventually woke her up and she took me to the hospital.   I eventually got a shot of demerol.  That made things much better!  It was getting light when we got home.  I don't actually remember the drive home.  I slept all day, at least until 5:00 pm when the phone woke me up.  I was awake until 8:30 pm but still foggy most of that time and I think I dozed off several times.  When I got in bed at 8:30 I slept thru til 6:45 am when Ginger's alarm clock went off.  I went to work today though in retrospect I probably should have stayed home again.
 
The scary part is we don't really know what happened.  Some say it was simply muscle strain or a muscle spasm.  One guy suggested I was simply dehydrated.  Regardless, of what anyone says, I don't know what happened.  I do know that it hurt more than I have ever hurt in my life.  I hurt so much at times I couldn't even speak.  And of course occassionaly I considered hurling but I never quite got around to it.
 
The good new is I am still alive and kicking, though for a while today I had serious doubts.
 
On the brighter side, I see blogger had added some features to the blogging GUI.  I will have to try them out soon.  Good night.
 

No comments: