Sunday, July 25, 2004

Lots of typos in my last entry.  I guess I didn't proof it before publishing.   And now I am just feeling too lazy to fix it.

I took Aaron and Austin home today.  They live about 90 minutes away.  Friday Aaron asked me if I would help him get his computer on the internet.  They have another computer in the house hooked up to a cable modem already.   Time to put together a LAN.

I called his mother and asked how long the cable needed to be.   Best guess was about 75 feet.  You can buy a 100 foot ethernet cable but they run about $60.  To me that is insane.  I decided to make one.  I got the category 5 cable from Home Depot.  100' of Cat 5 runs about $18.  I already had the crimping tool and the RJ connectors.  You can get a 500' roll of cable for about $45.  I should probably do that next time considering the number of times I have gone to HD and bought 100'.

I also bought him a Linksys router -  CompUSA, $59; Ethernet card, $14.   Aaron's birthday is in August.  I told him this was an early B-day present.  My Father said he would help pay for it.  Aaron and Austin now have Internet access.  I suppose they will be up late tonight playing Subspace/Continuum. 

I considered buying them 802.11B wireless stuff.  For the cost of the router and wire I could have gotten an equivalent wireless setup.  However there is no way of knowing whether the signal strength would have been good inside their house.  If it was bad, that could effect thru-put and latency.  I decided, better safe than sorry.  Wired was the way to go.

Yes, I did spend most of the weekend playing computer games.  Just like the good old days.  I am a gamer.  Dude!

The Miata spent the weekend in the garage.  I drove the truck(extended cab)  as I was taxi'ing the four kids around.

Friday we packed up the office.  Saturday a moving company moved our stuff.  Tomorrow I will go to work at a different location.  The new offices are much nicer than the old place.

No comments: